We are pleased to announce that the FSDS will hold it’s first ever essay writing contest, with the prize to be a full scholarship to the SD Trainer Academy. This scholarship is valued at $3,000. The scholarship monies were a generous donation from Dr. Margaret Brown, in loving memory of her husbands first SD “Dorjee”.
Applicants must submit an essay that is between 2,000-2,500 words and answers the following questions:
- Why do you wish to become a SD trainer?
- Why do you wish to work with the disability community?
- What qualities do you possess that make you a good candidate for this program?
- In what type of setting do you see yourself working in 5 years? 10 years?
- What type of personal connection, if any, do you have to the military and first response community?
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a permanent resident of AZ for at least one year
- be at least 18 years of age
- be interested in SD training as a career path
- have no history of felony conviction or pending charges
- have no history of illicit substance abuse
- be willing to obtain a fingerprint clearance card
- be willing to remain with the FSDS for at least 2 years after graduation
Applications will be accepted between Feb. 1 and April 30th. The winner will be announced in late May. Essays must be:
- neatly typed
- 12 point font
- standard 1″ margins
- fall within the word count ranges specified above; those that fall below or above the word count requirements will not be considered.
Please include a cover page with your essay with the following information:
- Name and contact information (email and phone)
- Mailing address
- Place of birth