Please note that due to the pandemic we are not yet certain when our next class will start. We will update information on our site when it is available. Thank you for your patience as we work through this unpredictable and constantly evolving Covid-19 situation together.
A new application packet will be available, so please DO NOT fill out the existing application.
The FSDS selects temperament tested, medically screened dogs for interested individuals. Please DO NOT attempt to procure a dog first and contact us later. The selection of an appropriate dog is critical to class success. All dogs accepted into the FSDS program must first pass a temperament test. In order to be considered, the dog must be expected to attain an adult weight of at least 50 lbs. Breed restrictions are for insurance reasons, and the following breeds will not be considered regardless of whether they are purebred or a mix:
- Pit Bull
- Staffordshire Terrier
- Doberman Pinscher
In addition to the above, we will also not consider brachycephalic dogs (those with short flat faces) as they are prone to respiratory issues.
Qualifications to Apply for a Service Dog
- Are you age 16 or older?
- Has your treating physician diagnosed you with a qualifying disability?
- Do you have a need for assistance with a minimum of three tasks on a daily basis?
- Are you able to affirm that you have no record of either felony conviction or pending felony charges?
- Have you resided in Arizona for at least one year?
- Are you a U.S. Citizen?
If the answer to all five questions is “yes”, then you qualify to apply for a service dog from our program.
Full Scholarship Based on Prior Community Service
- Are you an active duty military personnel who has been wounded?
- Are you a military veteran?
- Are/were you a police officer, or other First Responder?
If the answer to any of the above questions is “yes”, you may be eligible for a full scholarship based on your past community service.
Pawsitive Community Program
- Have you resided in AZ for at least one year?
- Are you unable to afford the cost of a medically necessary service dog?
- Are you and/or your family and friends willing to perform 350 hours of volunteer service with the FSDS at our training facility
If the answer to all of the above questions is “yes”, you may qualify for assistance through our Pawsitive Community Program.
How to Apply
If you meet the criteria outlined above and are ready to apply, then be certain to read the instructions in the application packet carefully. Please mail all application materials in the same envelope, with the exception of personal and professional references. These should be mailed to us directly from the individuals who are completing these forms. Incomplete applications will not be processed. There is no fee to apply. You will be contacted by FSDS staff once your completed application packet is received.
Note that the new 2019 application packet materials and cost sheet pertain to all applicants for the upcoming class this Fall.
We do not train Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
If you are looking to re-classify your pet dog as an ESA, please contact your treating physician for assistance. The FSDS does not train or certify ESAs, as these are not recognized as service dogs under ADA Law. Please do not ask us to “make an exception” as we are not authorized to grant exceptions to the ADA Law. If you are looking to obtain an ESA we will not be able to assist you, as we train service and facility dogs only.