The FSDS will select temperament tested, medically screened dogs for interested individuals. Please DO NOT attempt to procure a dog first and contact us later. The selection of an appropriate dog is critical to class success. The FSDS program preferentially selects Golden Retriever puppies for training.
Qualifications to Apply for a Service Dog
- Are you age 16 or older?
- Has your treating physician diagnosed you with a qualifying disability?
- Do you have a need for assistance with a minimum of three tasks on a daily basis?
- Are you able to affirm that you have no record of either felony conviction or pending felony charges?
- Have you resided in Arizona for at least one year?
If the answer to all five questions is “yes”, then you qualify to apply for a service dog from our program.
Full Scholarship Based on Prior Community Service
- Are you an active duty military personnel who has been wounded?
- Are you a military veteran?
- Are/were you a police officer, or other first responder?
- Are/were you a school teacher or clergy member?
- Are/were you involved in long-term volunteer service to your community (5+ years)?
If the answer to any of the above questions is “yes”, you may be eligible for a full scholarship based on your past community service.
Pawsitive Community Program
- Have you performed less than 5 years of volunteer community service?
- Are you unable to afford the cost of a medically necessary service dog?
- Are you and/or your family and friends willing to perform 250 hours of volunteer service in our community?
If the answer to all of the above questions is “yes”, you may qualify for a full scholarship through our Pawsitive Community Program.
- Are/were you involved in community service for a period of time less than 5 years?
- Are you either unwilling or unable to participate in our Pawsitive Community Program?
- Are you able to demonstrate financial need?
If the answer to any of the above questions is “yes”, you may be eligible for up to a maximum of 50% scholarship assistance, based upon availability of funding.
How to Apply
If you meet the criteria outlined above and are ready to apply, then be certain to read the instructions in the application packet carefully. Please mail all application materials in the same envelope, with the exception of personal and professional references. These should be mailed to us directly from the individuals who are completing these forms. Incomplete applications will not be processed. There is no fee to apply. You will be contacted by FSDS staff once your completed application packet is received.
ATTENTION: If you meet the criteria for full scholarship based on your service to the community OR if you are applying through our Pawsitive Community Program, DO NOT fill out the financial aid request form. The Financial Inventory Form should only be filled out by those individuals who do not qualify for full scholarship, and are seeking partial financial assistance.
A Note to Those Seeking an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
If you are looking to re-classify your pet dog as an ESA, please contact your treating physician for assistance. The FSDS does not train or certify ESAs, as these are not recognized as service dogs under ADA Law. Please do not ask us to “make an exception” as we are not authorized to grant exceptions to the ADA Law. If you are looking to obtain an ESA we will not be able to assist you, as we train service and facility dogs only.